Monday, March 26, 2012

ShamrockOn, a Shamrock Shuffle Recap

Time: 39:57 a PR by over 2 minutes!!!



Jumping for joy over a 2 minute PR despite being sidelined for 2.5 months. Folks, cross training will help keep most of your fitness!

Pre Race


This was my first "race" post hip flexor strain that I sustained over 2.5 months ago. On average I have been running 5-15 miles a week (and cycling 50-60 miles a week) because the last thing I want is to be injured again.

Wonderful wonderful and I walked over to grand park from our place an hour before the race. It was absolutely stunning out- low to mid 50's, overcast perfect racing conditions! The port o let lines were non existent which was amazing considering the size of the race. After the pit stop we headed over to corral B to wait for the start.


I have to admit I was nervous about this race. Although I did a "Shamrock Shuffle" test run last week and ran a 40:09, I really wasn't sure how running would feel since I haven't been doing much of it lately.


But the goal I had was to beat my BFF Tribu and her time from an 8k a few weeks ago. The plan was to run around 8:00 miles and push at the end. Or self destruct.



The race

Within 2 minutes of hearing the starting air horn, we were off!

It was a smooth start considering the number of participants- over 34,000! I was running by feel (garmin set to manual lap) because the tunnel at the beginning would cause us all to lose our satellite connection.


Mile 1 clocked in at 7:55. I might have gone out a little fast, but was quick to reign myself in and try to stay at a comfortably hard pace.

The rest of the miles flew by at 8:00-8:05 pace. I was pretty consistent!

Mile 4 became a mental game. I started feeling sick, hot and out of breath- I even took some Gatorade! But kept pushing on. "Come on. It's only a mile to go! You can do this!"

I knew by this point that beating my Tribu wasn't going to happen so I pulled everything I had inside of me to push towards the finish to break 40.


With the famous green guys! And they are fast!

Post Race

I can safely say that I left everything out on the course Sunday. I dug deep to finish with a PR despite all the setbacks from the hip flexor injury. I needed to run hard to get those demons out, the frustrations of not being able to participate in a sport I love. It felt damn good And disappointing all at the same time. All those "what if's" came floating into my head- like "what if I never over stretched to cause the hip flexor injury? What would I have been capable of?

I will stop dwelling on the what ifs. I know I'm stronger now and am laying a great foundation for my future running endeavors.


I'm super proud of my WW who broke 50 minutes in his first 8k!! He had just returned from a 10 hour flight the day before and tweaked his ankle running on the lakefront on our way to the expo. He averaged faster during the almost 5 miles than his last few 5ks. :)



What's next?

- hitting 300 cycle/run miles for march.

- base building over the next 7 weeks before official marathon training begins.

- strengthening my weak hips and core.

Shamrock is a fun race that I'm looking forward to doing again next year!

- xaar

10 comments:

  1. Great job! Congrats on the PR! Glad to hear that you didn't lose fitness while being injured. That takes some awesome dedication!! Also, it sounds like we were probably near each other at some point during the race! Not to sound like a stalker, but I think I see the top of my head and my friend's face in your photo of the start line :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, lady! I am so excited for you! I agree - everything about yesterday was just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure that awesome outfit of yours helped speed you up :). Great race!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! Congrats on the PR! That must have felt great considering the injuries that you have battled recently. Sounds like a great race to do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, way to keep up your fitness, girl. What an inspiring race report.

    As the official Green Girl, I must say I love love love your outfit - hello you rocked the green.

    Yeah, LA Marathon was not on my 'to do' list either. I'm not a fan of huge races but when the Angel Runners said they were going to train for their first marathon and come out to LA, how could a girl say no?

    My only complaint about the race was the lack of food but the spectators more than made up for it. I've never seen a race so well supported by the 'public'. We munched on orange slices, candy, pretzels, you name it - all from friendly people supporting the race.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your well deserved PR! The what ifs can kill you, but channel them into something positive when you are healthy again. It'll help you run with a purpose, and girl you will blow all of your expectations out of the water once you are able to get back at it again. Loved your outfit too!

    Stupid question, what does it mean when Garmin is on manual lap? I don't understand the difference between this and auto lap? Does manual mean that it doesn't beep until you press the lap button? You would think that I would know the answer to this because I've had my Garmin for a year and a half but me and technology, we are quite the pair.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on a super PR, lady friend!! You totally deserved that. And wow, those green people are crazy, I can't imagine running with such a giant afro, seems like it'd get caught in the wind.

    I am always surprised at how well cross training can carry over to running. I experienced this last year when I started running again after 5 months off running.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice job! Woohoo for a PR coming back from your injury!

    I love the jumping picture at the beginning. Those green guys are crazy looking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on a good race and a PR, especially after the hip flexor recovery. Looks like we had to recover from our hips at the same time. I guess you could say we are joined by the hip. There are a lot of bloggers out there recovering from hip injuries this year.

    P.S. Love the socks!

    ReplyDelete